Back to THESIS
A STUDY ON IMPACT OF SALES PROMOTION ACTIVITIES BY FUTURE GROUP ON CONSUMERS’ BUYING BEHAVIOUR
In current scenario where business environment is continuously expanding; Buyers’ are more aware about product quality, price and services provided by the marketers. Buyer has become the king in the market. They have hidden but powerful autonomous operating power. They seems enjoying a lot of freedom of buying decision. Sometimes buyers’ in the position as influencer and other hand marketers keep trying to influence them through many techniques; such as sales promotion, advertisement. A situation where buyers demand the products from marketers it comes pull strategy of marketing and the another situation when marketers trying to create demand by pushing dealers to increase/create demand it called push strategy of marketing. As a result marketer uses and apply several techniques which are help to make buyer attention successfully. As a result buyer uses their power of buying decision freely. And as per their degree of satisfaction they attract or distracts.
Background of social science in International market buyers’ has become the king. They can behave according to their individual freedom and power. He enjoys his great opportunity of freedom at the time of buying. Shoppers’ are lying in a position to attract/influence by producers or sellers capacity, characteristics, and constituents of merchandise, cost and after-sales aids and supports, amongst the alternative goods and services. As an outcome of the seller’s dose not any more endures “seller’s markets”, its turn into “buyers markets”. With the boom in Indian retail sectors, several players came into market with totally different retail formats.
1. Ailawadi, K L, Farris, P and Shames, E (1999). “Trade promotion: Essential to selling through resellers,” Sloan Management Review, 41 (1), 83-92.
2. Ailawadi, K (2001). “The retail power-performance conundrum: What have we learned?”
Journal of Retailing, forthcoming.
3. Berman Barry, Joel R. Evans “Retail Management- A Strategic approach” –,Pearson-2007,
9t Edition Pg 474-493
4. Bajaj Chetan, Rajnish Tuli,Nidhi Srivastva “Retail Management”, Oxford University Press.
2012. Pg 2-11, 513-563.
5. Blattberg, R C, Briesch, R A and Fox, E C (1995). “How consumers sales promotion works,”
Marketing Science, 14(3/2), G112-G132.
6. Bureau (2007). “Shopper’s Stop, Hyper-CITY ink MoU for Argos,” The Economic Times, February 26.
7. Blattberg, R, Briesch, R and Fox, E (1995). “How promotions work,” Marketing Science, 14 (3), G122- 132.
8. Chandon Pierre, Wansink Brian, Laurent Gilles (Oct., 2000). “A Benefit Congruency Framework of Sales Promotion Effectiveness” The Journal of Marketing Vol. 64, No. 4 (Oct., 2000), pp. 65-81
9. Chunnawala S.A. “Contours of Retailing Management”, Himalya Publication, 2006 Pg. 1-
10. Das Gopal, Kumar Rohit Vishal (June 2009). “Impact Of Sales Promotion On Buyers
Behaviour: An Empirical Study Of Indian Retail Customers” GMJ,VOL 3,ISSUE 1, pp.11-2
Impact of Sales Promotions on When, What, and How Much to Buy.
11. Dunne Lusch “Retail Management”, Cengage Learning 2002, Pg. 44-54,264-290, 323.
12. Goswami, P and Mishra, M (2007). “Would Indian Consumers move from Kirana Stores to Organized Retailers When Shopping for Groceries?” papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm? abstract_id=983303.
13. Green, Tull and Albaum (2007), Research For Marketing Decisions, PHI, fifth edition.
14. Gupta Sunil (Nov., 1988). “Impact of Sales Promotions on When, What, and How Much to
Buy “Journal of Marketing Research Vol. 25, No. 4 (), pp. 342-355.
15. Gupta S.L. “Retail Management” Indian Perspective-,Wisdom Publication,Delhi.Pg.1-
16. Gilbert David “Retail Marketing Mgmt”, Pearson Education 2nd edition 2006, g- 6-7,46-
17. Hyllegard, K, Eckman, M, Descals, A M, Borja, M A G (2013). “Spanish consumers’ perceptions of US apparel specialty retailers’ products and services, Journal of Consumer Behaviour, 4(5), 345-362.
18. India Retail Report (2014). “Buying patterns of the consumer in Food and Grocery Retail,”
India Retail Forum and Images Multimedia, pp 74-77.
19. James M. Lattin and Randolph E. Bucklin Reference “Effects of Price and Promotion on
Brand Choice Behavior” Journal of Marketing Research Vol. 26, No. 3 (Aug., 2010), pp.
20. Jain J.N &.Singh P.P, Regal “Modern Retail Management Principles & Techniques”,
publication, Delhi-2011. Pg 346-389.
21. Kopalle, P K, Carl, F M, and Ma rsh, L (1999). “The Dynamic Effects of Discounting on
Sales: Empirical Analysis and Normative Pricing Implications,” Marketing Science, 18 (3),
22. Kadiyali, V, Chintagunta P, and Vilcassim, N (2000). “Manufacturer-retailer channel interactions and implications for channel power: An empirical investigation of pricing in a local market,” Marketing Science, 19(2), 127-148.
23. Lamba, A.J (2013). “The Art of Retailing” Tata Mc Grawhill, Pg4-5, 60-119.
24. Levy-Weitz “Retail Management”, Tata McGraw Hill Edition 2015, Pg 110-112.
25. Pierre Chandon, Brian Wansink and Gilles Laurent “A Benefit Congruency Framework of
Sales Promotion Effectiveness” The Journal of Marketing Vol. 64, No. 4 (Oct., 2015), pp.
26. Vijayraghavan K, and Ramsurya M V (2007). “Mom & pop happy letting a rich tenant take over,” The Economics Times, February 5.
27. Vijayraghavan, K (2007). “Future Group to focus on lifestyle & non-grocery biz for higher
margins,” The Economic Times, February 9.
28. Vyas, P H (2005). “Measuring Consumer Preferences for Sales Promotion Schemes through
Conjoint Design in FMCG Sector,” W.P NO.2005 -09-08, IIMA, India.
29. Vyas, P H (2007). “Sales Promotions practices in Apparel retail Sector and Challenges
Ahead,” W.P NO.2007 -11- 02, IIMA, India.
30. Michel Learmoth, “Social Media Paves Way to While House” Sdvertising Age, March 30,
2009, P. 16; Noreen O’ Leary, “GMBB,”AdweekMedia, June 15, 2009, P. 2: John Quelch, “The Marketing of a Presidents,” Havard Business School Working Knowledge, November
31. Philip Kotler, “Marketing: The Underappreciated Workhorse,” Market Leader Quarter 2,
2009, pp. 8-10.
32. Peter C. Verhoef and Peter S. H. Leeflang, Understanding the Marketing Department’s
Influence within the Firm, “Journal of Marketing 73 (March 2009), pp. 14–37.
33. Eric Newman, “To Boost the Bottom Line, Strengthen the Front Line,” Brand week, June 9,
2008, p. 10.
34. Jon Fine, “Marketing’s Drift Away From Media, Business Week, August 17, 2009, p. 64.
35. Peter Drucker, Management: Tasks, Responsibilities, Practices (New York: Harper and
Row, 1973), pp. 64–65.
36. B. Joseph Pine II and James Gilmore, The Experience Economy (Boston: Harvard Business School Press, 1999); Bernd Schmitt, Experience Marketing (New York: Free Press, 1999); Philip Kotler, “Dream Vacations: The Booming Market for Designed Experiences,” The Futurist, October 1984, pp. 7–13.
37. Jena McGregor, Matthew Boyle, and Peter Burrows, Your New Customer: The State,”
Business Week, March 3 and 30, 2009, p. 66.
38. Nikolaus Franke, Peter Keinz, and Christoph J. Steger, Testing the Value of Customization: When Do Customers Really Prefer Products Tailored to Their Preferences?” Journal of Marketing 73 (September 2009), pp. 103–21.
39. Martin Bosworth, “Loyalty Cards: Rewards or Threats?” ConsumerAffairs.com, July 11,
40. Christian Homburg, John P. Workman Jr., and Harley Krohmen, “Marketing’s Influence within the Firm,”Journal of Marketing 63 (January 1999), pp. 1–15.
41. Vecchio, Del, Devon et.al, (2006) “The Effect of Sales Promotion on Post-Promotion Brand
Preference: A Meta Analysis”, Journal of Retailing, 82,3, pp. 203-213.
42. Ndubisi, Oly, Nelson and Moi, Tung, Chiew (2005) “Customers Behavioural Response to Sales Promotion: The Role of Fear of Losing Face”, Asia Pacipc Journal of Marketing and Logistics, Vol. 17, Number 1, pp. 2-49.
43. Kumar, V. and Swaminathan, Srinivasan (2005), “Two Different Faces of Coupon
Elasticity”, Journal of Retailing, Vol. 8 1, Issue 1, pp. 1- 13.
44. Laroche, Michel et.al (2005) “Effect of Coupon on Brand Categorisation and Choice of Fast
Food in China”, Journal of Business Research, Vol. 58, Issue 5, May, pp. 674-686.
45. Lewis, Michel (2004) “The Influence of Loyalty Programmes and Short-term Promotions on
Customer Retention”, Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 41, Issue 3, Aug., pp. 339-350.
46. Anderson, T. Eric and Simester, I. Duncan (2004) “Long-Run Effect of Promotion Depth in
New Versus Established Customers: Three Field Studies”, Marketing Science, Vo1.23, No.
1, Winter, pp. 4-20.
47. Dawes, John (2004) “Assessing the Impact of a Very Successful Price Promotion on Brand, Category and Competitor Sales”, Journal of Product & Brand Management, Vo1.13, Number
5, pp. 303-3 14.
48. Baohong et.al (2003) “Measuring the Impact of Promotions on Brand Switching When Consumers are Forward Looking” Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 40, Issue 4, November., pp. 48 1-491.
49. Swait, Jofie and Erden, Tulin (2002) “The Effect of Temporal Consistency of Sales Promotions and Availability on Consumer Choice Behavior”, Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 39, Issue 3, August., pp. 304-320.
50. Soman, Dilip and Gourville, T. John (2001) “Transaction Decoupling: How Price Bundling
Affect The Decision to Consume”, Journal of Marketing Research, Vo1.3 8, February., pp. 3
51. Smith, F. Michael and Sinha, Indrajit (2000), “The Impact of Price and Extra Product Promotions on Store Preference”, International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 83-92.
52. Feame, Andrew et.al. (1999) “The Impact of Alternative Promotion Strategies on the Spirits Category: Evidence fiom the UK”, Journal of Product & Brand Management, Vol. 8, No.5, pp. 430-442.
53. Ailawadi, L. Kusurn and Nelsin, A. Scott (1998) “The Effect of Promotion on Consumption
– Buying More and Consuming it Faster”, Journal Of Marketing Research, Vol. 35, August, pp. 390-398.
54. Mela F. Carl. et.al (1997), “The Long Term Impact of Promotion and Advertising on
Consumer Brand Choice”, Journal of marketing Research, Vo1.34, May.
55. Gould, W. Brian (1997), “Consumer Promotion and Purchase Timing: The Case of Cheese”, Journal of Applied Economics, Vo1.29, pp. 445- 457.
56. Sethuraman, Raj (1996), “A Model of How Discounting of High- Priced Brands Affect the
Sale of Low-Priced Brands “, Journal of marketing Research, Vo1.33, Nov., pp. 399-409.
57. Jeffiy, J. and Mc.Alister, Leigh (1994), “Do Coupon Expiration Dates Affect Consumer
Behavior” Journal of Marketing Research, August 1994, Vo1.3 1, pp. 423-428.
58. Grover, Rajiv and Srinivasan V. (1992), “Evaluating the Multiple Effect of Retail Promotion on Brand Loyal and Brand Switching Segments”, Journal of Marketing Research, February, Vol. 29, pp. 76-89.
59. Kahn, E. Barbara and Loouise, A. Therse (1990), “Effect of Retraction of Price Promotions on Brand Choice Behavior for Variety-Seeking and Last Purchase Loyal Consumers”, Journal of marketing Research, August, pp. 279-289.
60. Guptha, Sunil (1988), “Impact of Sales Promotion on When, What and How Much to Buy”, Journal of Marketing Research, Vo1.25, November, pp. 342-355.
61. Kerin, A. Roger and Cron, L. William (1987), “Assessing Trade Show Functions and
Performance: An Exploratory Study”, Journal of Marketing, Vo1.5 1, July, pp. 87-94.
62. Kumar, KM. Krishna (2006) “Consumer Perception About Promotional Strategies Adopted By Marketers: A Study with Reference to Fast Moving Consumer Goods in Kerala”, PhD. Thesis, University of Calicut, April.
63. Alverez, Begoiia and Casielles, Vhquez, Rodolfo (2005), “Consumer Evaluations of Sales
Promotion: The Effect on Brand Choice”, European Journal of Marketing, Vol. 39, Number:
1 pp. 54 – 70.
64. Bailey, Anthony, Ainsworth (2005), “Non-Fulfillment of Promotional Deals: The Impact of Gender and Company Reputation on Consumers’ Perception and Attitudes”, Journal of Retailing and Consumer services, Vol. 12, Issue 4, July, pp. 285-295.
65. Darke, R Peter. and Chung, MY. Cindy (2005),”Effects of Pricing on Consumer Perception: It Depend on How You Frame It”, Journal of Retailing, Vol. 8 1, Issue 1, pp. 35-47.
66. Vyas, H. Preeta (2005), “Measuring Consumer Preference for Sales Promotion Schemes Through Conjoint Design in FMCG Sector”, Working Paper, NO. 2005-09-08, IIM, Ahmedabad.
67. Janiszewski, Chris and Mrcus, Cunha (2004), “The Influence of Price Discount Framing on the Evaluation of a Product Bundle”, Journal of Consumer Research, 30, March, pp. 534-
68. Tan, Soo-Jiuan and Chua, Hwang, Seow (2004), “While Stocks Last!” Impact of Framing on Consumers’ Perception of Sales Promotions”, Journal of Consumer Marketing, Vol. 2 1, Number: 5, pp. 343 – 355.
69. Alain, dlAstous and Valdrie, Landreville (2003), “An Experimental Investigation of Factors Affecting Consumers’ Perceptions of Sales Promotions”, European Journal of Marketing, Volume: 37, Number 11, pp. 1746 – 1761.
70. Kureshi, Sonal and Vyas, Preetha (2002), ” An Explanatory Study of Sales Promotion Activities in Toilet Soap Category: An Insight in to Consumer and Retailer Perceptions”, Working Paper No. 2002-07-02, IIM Ahrnedabad, pp. 1-2 1.
Reference from websites-
1. https://www.demandjump.com/blog/what-is-consumer-buying- behavior#:~:text=Consumer%20Buying%20Behavior%20refers%20to,a%20variety%20 of%20other%20actions.
5. https://www.business2community.com/consumer-marketing/six-stages-consumer- buying-process-market-
6. https://www.yourarticlelibrary.com/business/11-important-techniques-of-sales- promotion/1119
8. https://www.economicsdiscussion.net/marketing-management/sales-promotion-tools- and-techniques/31949
Reference from Text Books-
1. (Neil Rackham, 06/1996) On Spin Selling.
2. (Belch, 2017) Advertisement and Promotion.
3. Charles M Futrell, Fundamental of Selling
4. Royden H L, Pearson Education (Singapore) Pte. Ltd.-Delhi on Real Analysis
5. Wright R, publisher- Cengage Learning March 2006 on Consumer Behaviour
Reference from News/Magazines/NEWS Papers-
1. Future Group’s Big Bazaar launches Smart Search sale to begin from September 1.
MON, AUG 28, 2017. Big Bazaar Smart Search Sale Will Commence Soon And We
Tell You All About It.
2. The five-day Big Bazaar ‘Mahabachat’ sale will open on Saturday, August 11. Big Bazaar
has announced cashback up to Rs 1,200 on digital wallets. Corporates NDTV Profit
TeamUpdated: August 10, 2018 08:09 pm IST.
3. Kishore Biyani takes cues from Jack Ma, to replicate Alibaba’s promotion model in
India. Sagar Malviya & Shambhavi Anand | ET Bureau | Jan 23, 2018, 11:25 IST
4. Brand Factory launches digital IP, ‘Brand stock exchange’ The digital campaign is promoted by IdeateLabs. ETBrandEquity. September 02, 2019, 18:28 IST.
Reference from my own previous Research Paper-
1. Research paper entitled “A Study on Changing Consumer Perceptions towards Organised Retailing from Unorganised Retailing in Raipur City. Chhattisgarh” presented on International Seminar on Evolving Management Strategies for India’s Economic GROWTH at Oriental College of Management on May, 2015.
2. Research paper entitled “Retailing in India” published on monthly journal at Sai College,
Bhilai (C.G.) Feb-2012.
3. Research Paper entitled “Study on Organised and Unorganised Retailing in Raipur City” presented at National Conference organised by Awadhesh Pratap University, Reewa (M.P.) on April- 2012.
4. Research paper entitled “A Study on Consumer Behavior in Retail Industry” presented at
KITE, Raipur on Feb-2012.
5. Research paper entitled “Impact of globalization on Consumer Buying Behavior with competitive strategy change in food retail Industry” presented at International Conference organised by Ajay Kumar Garg Institute of Management, Ghaziabad (U.P.) on Jan-2011published by Macmillan.
6. Research paper entitled “Requirement of Knowledge Management in today’s Retail Industry” presented at International Conference organised by Ajay Kumar Garg Institute of Management, Ghaziabad (U.P.) on Oct.-2011published by Macmillan.
7. Research paper entitled “Recent trends in Management and Technology” presented at
Shri Rawatpura Sarkar Group of Institutions, Raipur (C.G.) on Jan-2011.
Publications Based on Research Study
1. Research Paper entitled “A Study on Role of Sales Promotion on Consumers’ Buying Behavior” presented at National Research Conference, Organised by S.K.N. Singhad School of Business Management, Pune (Maharashtra), published at special issue of journal SANKALAN, Volume-2, Issue-2, ISSN-2454-9266 on November 2016- April
2. Research paper entitled “Development of Scale for Impact of Sales Promotion on Consumers’ Buying Behaviour (ISPCBB)” published in International Journal of Research and Analytical Reviews (IJRAR) volume-5, E-ISSN 2348-1269, P-ISSN 2349-
5138 on October, 2018.
3. A Study On Role Of Sales Promotion on Consumer Buying Behavior (With The
Reference Of Future Lifestyle Fashion) at 10th International Conference of Business
Management, organized by Prestige Institute of Management, Gwalior (M.P.) on
4. “A Study on Impact of Sales Promotion on Consumer Buying Behavior in Digital Age” (Study based on Future Retail Limited.) Under Review at 3rd National Marketing Seminar on “Marketing in Digital India: Trends, opportunities and Challenges” on 16th March, 2019. Organized by Prestige institute of Gwalior, M.P.